To start with politics has never been easy, and politics in the modern world has never been a more ruthless and complex environment. However, in these challenges lie opportunities. This gives people from all walks of life - civil, cultural and economic, the chance to propose new ways to build a society where all can live in harmony.
Politics in the Oxford English Dictionary is defined as ‘organized control over a human community, particularly a state.’ Hence, by itself it resists the idea of a public voice. However, we propose something completely different. This means it’s crucial for people to participate until they are able to directly influence public decitions and actively cooperate with those who wield decisional powers.
When this happens politics becomes something other than empty ideology and rhetoric. Together, we commit ourselves concretely, by taking the following steps:
• Build local, national, and international politicies whose ideologies stem from the needs of the weakest
• Give strength to the role of politics in regards to finance and economy
• Propose and experiment with practices and models of a new governance capable also of updating international relationships
• Working not only for peace, but for full fraternity among peoples
For a better society we need the contribution of all. What paths should be followed?
• Take an interest in those who live in my building and in my neighborhood
• Accept the duties inherent in civil life
• Do my job with honesty and professionalism
• Inform myself about elected representatives and what they do
• Protest when I see an injustice, an abuse, or violence
• Absorb topical news and events from multiple channels
• Spend some time to communicate personally, not just through technology.
• know how to present my reasons publicly for discussion
• Take care of the commons, and report malfunctions
• Renounce part of my resources and share them with those in need
• Listen and open myself to dialogue to those who are not in agreement
• Research and study in order to ameliorate the life of many
These are answers given by the students at the University Institute Sophia of Loppiano (Italy)
How about you?